"Don't ask what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and then go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

15 January 2010

Artsy Fartsy Wandering

I'm here in Columbus. I have to physically come to the library when I want to check email because I don't have internet in my house. The house is wonderful, as a sidenote---kitchen that overlooks the snow, warm and welcoming family room, perfect spacious bedroom. But, all along I've been saying to myself--you need to go blog! Now that I'm here in the library, here at a desk, I can't remember what it was I wanted to say.

I like having nowhere to be. Classes start next week but this entire week I've done nothing but hang in the library and explore town. There's nowhere I have to be. No deadlines, no meetings, not even lunches with friends yet. I am a free spirit....traversing the city boundaries, bounding through thrift stores and every branch of the Columbus public library, languidly waking up and brewing tea for myself as I read the books I check out and watch the movies.

I've wanted this for awhile. A breath of fresh air. A departure. A separation from papers and grades. I mean, what college student doesn't, right? But, I don't know, I feel like it's more than that. I'm used to leaving. If I can't leave, I get antsy. If newness in my life doesn't involve a completely different environment, it's not good enough. I want new streets, new buildings to look at when I'm driving around, new bars to sneak into. I can't. Stay. in the same. place.
Is that bad?